Top Reasons to Stay at The Groveland Hotel
- Located 30 minutes from Yosemite National Park, the hotel makes a good home base for hiking, whitewater rafting, and fishing.
- Built in 1849 from adobe, The Groveland Hotel is a California landmark and one of the area’s oldest buildings.
- The Cellar Door Restaurant currently holds the Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence for having an internationally extensive wine list of more than 600 labels. The restaurant’s dinner menu changes seasonally and highlights regional cuisine, including a California cheese plate.
- You can taste local microbrews at the full-service saloon, which nods to the hotel’s gold-rush-era history.
- Really Nice and Extremely Nice rooms have a vintage look, replete with antique furniture.
- Innkeeper Peggy Mosley will gladly recommend selections from the wine list. She also enjoys telling guests about local history, nearby waterfalls and swimming holes, and her personal connection to Elvis Presley.
- The package includes two wine-tasting passes to Gianelli Vineyards, located about 20 minutes away, in Jamestown.
Groveland, California: Historic Town near Yosemite National Park and Ski Areas
After the gold rush subsided, Groveland became a boomtown once more—between 1915 and 1935—as the base of operations for the Hetch Hetchy water project, a massive plan to bring fresh water to San Francisco. These days, natural resources remain the area’s biggest draw. Groveland borders nearly 1 million acres of woodlands comprising Stanislaus National Forest.
The small town has remained a popular destination on the route to Yosemite National Park, which lies about a 30-minute drive east. Winter in Yosemite is a tranquil period as traffic decreases, allowing visitors to take in the snowy mountainscapes at their own pace. Some hiking trails remain open through the valley, and plows clear the roads leading up to downhill and cross-country ski areas.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
88% of 16 customers recommend
“I enjoyed the delightful decor of our room and the very comfy beds.”
“A charming hotel in the Sierras with a wonderful restaurant on the property.”
“We really enjoyed our stay there, it was more than what we expected. Great staff, cozy rooms, and great food. Loved it!”