Top Reasons to Visit The Inn at Jim Thorpe and 55
- Built in 1849, the inn sits in the heart of Jim Thorpe’s quaint historic district. The hotel’s impressive guest book includes visits from Presidents Ulysses S. Grant and William Howard Taft as well as Buffalo Bill Cody, Thomas Edison, and John D. Rockefeller.
- Professional spa therapists offer massages, wraps, and face masks at the onsite spa.
- Standard and deluxe guest rooms feature Victorian furnishings, and some mini suites are equipped with whirlpools and fireplaces. You can also stay in a guest room at the 55, a newly refurbished Victorian building across the street from the inn.
- The onsite Broadway Grille & Pub serves flame-grilled burgers and steaks along with salads, pasta, and sandwiches.
- Surrounded by an intricate cast-iron railing, the inn’s balcony is a great spot to read, watch the foot traffic on Broadway, or linger over a cup of coffee.
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania: Quaint 19th-Century Town in the Pocono Mountains
Located 80 miles northwest of Philadelphia, Jim Thorpe is a former coal-mining town with an interesting backstory. The town was known as Mauch Chunk until 1953, when residents changed the name to honor legendary athlete Jim Thorpe. The athlete’s body was eventually moved to the town and a humble monument was erected.
But there’s more to the town than its unusual name. National Geographic’s Adventure magazine named Jim Thorpe one of America’s Best Adventure Towns. Visitors come from all over to go whitewater rafting on the Lehigh River in the summer and cross-country skiing in the Pocono Mountains come winter. Cyclists and hikers flock to the Lehigh Gorge Trail, a 19-mile loop that wends through canyons and past waterfalls.
Back in town, take a stroll down Broadway and West Broadway, where 19th-century buildings house art galleries, boutiques, and traditional pubs. At the Mauch Chunk Museum and Cultural Center, exhibits range from a miniature replica of the Switchback Gravity Railroad to displays of Victorian fashions.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
95% of 79 customers recommend
“Wonderful porches, excellent location, helpful staff, clean, comfortable! ”
“We had a wonderful stay and would love to come back again!”
“Beautiful Inn, great staff, looking forward to going back.”