Thunder Bay Resort - Northern Michigan
Two-Night Stay for Up to Eight with $25 Gas Card and Four $20 Resort Credits. Combine Up to 4 Nights.
Top Reasons to Stay at Thunder Bay Resort
- Located about 22 miles west of Thunder Bay, the resort is situated on a forested plot of land that’s crisscrossed by miles of hiking and biking trails.
- Each day, guests can put one or more of their four $20 resort credits to use by going golfing, bicycling, or tubing on the river; resort credits cannot be combined. The elk-viewing dinner and carriage ride is a special treat. After a five-course gourmet dinner prepared by co-owner and chef Jan Matthias, groups head out in a horse-drawn carriage ride through the northern woods to glimpse newborn calves and majestic bull elks.
- A $25 gas card included with this Groupon helps keep the car fueled up for trips to and from Thunder Bay.
- Visit the Clubhouse Grill & Restaurant for American breakfast, lunch, and dinner entrees, including sandwiches, burgers, pizza, and steak.
- Deluxe and whirlpool suites overlook the golf course and come with a kitchenette and fireplace. Each unit comfortably sleeps up to eight people.
Hillman, Michigan: Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Lighthouses, and Hikes
If Michigan was a mitten—a shape the state is often compared to—then the small town of Hillman would be on the fingernail of the index finger. Tucked away in the northeast corner, Hillman sits just 22 miles west of Thunder Bay, a cove on Lake Huron. While the scenery is picturesque, don’t be fooled; the bay is adjacent to some of the roughest waters in all the Great Lakes, earning it the nickname “Shipwreck Alley.” Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary contains one of the nation’s most historically significant shipwreck collections. More than 50 vessels have been discovered here, and there are another 30 just beyond the boundaries. Experienced scuba divers can sign up for excursions to explore some of the submerged wrecks. You can also tour the area above water on kayaks or glass-bottom boats. Visit the free-of-charge Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center to feel the simulated wrath of a Great Lakes storm and view full-scale replicas of shipwrecked schooners.
What You Get
Two-night stay for up to eight in Deluxe or Whirlpool Suite
- Option 1: $179, valid for check-in Sunday-Wednesday (up to a $395 value)
- Option 2: $199, valid for check-in Friday (up to a $395 value)
Included in all options:
- $25 gas card
- Four $20 Thunder Bay resort vouchers (valid for Elk Viewing Dinner Rides, Golf, Tubing, Biking, and more). Cannot be combined.
Policies and Fees
Book by: 10/15/13
Travel by: 10/30/13
- Blackout dates: No blackout dates.
- Cancellation policy & fees: 14-day cancellation notice required or $75 fee applies.
- Taxes: 11% tax not included.
- Additional fees: Weekend stays may add Thursday or Sunday night for $59/night.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
- Onsite restaurant
- Gourmet dinner and wine tastings
- Hiking and biking trails
- Tubing and guided rafting
- Elk viewing
- Carriage rides
- 500 wooded acres along Thunder Bay River Elk Preserve
- Golf course
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Booking Guarantee. If the merchant is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, we'll refund your purchase.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Must book by 10/15/13 or promotional value expires
- Must complete travel by 10/30/13
- Limit 2 per person
- Limit 2 per visit
- Valid only for option purchased
- Reservation required, subject to availability
- 14-day cancellation notice required or $75 fee applies
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Must book up to two weeks in advance
- Credit card required at booking
- Weekend stays may add Thursday or Sunday night for $59/night
- 11% tax not included
- Resort credits cannot be combined towards the same activity.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
Deluxe or Whirlpool Suite
- One queen bed, two double beds, one sofa sleeper
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 8
- Adding occupants above standard: no charge
- Check in: 4 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free.
- Rollaways: not available.
- Smoking policy: no smoking in the building.
- Pet policy: pets weighing 70 lbs or less may be added for an additional $25 per stay.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request during booking.
- Room upgrades: Retail value of Getaway may be applied to Resort packages like Murder Mystery Weekends, Quilting Retreats, Wine Lover'sWeekends, Stay and Play Golf, Elk Viewing Carriage Ride, Gourmet Dinner and Wine Tasting. Check with property at booking.
- By plane: 234 miles from Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- By car: 221 miles northeast of Grand Rapids
The Groupon Guide to: Promotional Holidays
Everyone loves Toyotathon and Lobsterfest, but don't forget to support local businesses by celebrating these other corporate-sponsored promotional holidays:
- Wendy's Week
- Mattress History Month
- Birthday of Target founder, Benjamin Mathias Target
- Bacardi Gras