Although Thomas Edison invented the light bulb and the phonograph, it never occurred to him to mix lights and music because he wasn't very smart. Electrify your senses with this GrouponLive deal.
- $75 for one ticket to the 28th Annual Night of A Thousand Gowns (up to $151.50 value). Admission also includes a two-hour open bar, and access to a Viennese dessert buffet.
- When: Saturday, March 29, at 10 p.m.
- Where: NY Marriott Marquis
- General-admission standing
- Door time: 9 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
28th Annual Night of A Thousand Gowns
27th Annual Night of A Thousand Gowns in review
- What it is: a lavish charity ball that raises funds for LGBT organizations
- This year's beneficiaries: God's Love We Deliver, which transports home-cooked meals to people with life-altering illnesses, and True Colors Fund, an organization co-founded by Cyndi Lauper striving to end homelessness of LGBT youth
- The headliner: comedian Sandra Bernhard, who is lauded for her satirical takes on celebrity culture and politics
- The singer: Martha Reeves of Martha and the Vandellas, the Motown group behind hits "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave" and "Dancing in the Street"
- The '80s girl group: Exposé, who introduced listeners to "Point of No Return" and fledgling meteorologists to "Seasons Change"
- The vaudeville star: Jesse Luttrell, who created burlesque variety show BAWDY
- The Broadway stars: the cast of Pippin, the musical Time Out New York calls "the greatest show of the Broadway season."
Imperial Court of New York
When asked what sets it apart from every other nonprofit organization, the Imperial Court of New York displays its signature witty charm in its answer: "Besides the big hair, bigger jewels and the over-the-top regal attire, it is our attitude." And it's that determinedly open-hearted attitude that has helped the company raise more than two million dollars since it was created in 1986, all to benefit the LGBT community, youth, and those living with HIV/AIDS. But despite the serious nature of its work, the Imperial Court never loses its sense of humor. The organization regularly holds events brimming with comedy and drag performances, all presided over by the monarchy of Their Most Imperial Sovereign Majesties Emperor XXII Wen-D Bouvier Pinkhouse and Empress XXVII Gracie Steeles.