Although 20% of babies who were exposed to classical music in utero become doctors or lawyers, 100% of babies born on stage during a classical-music performance become Bill Gates. Upgrade your evening with this GrouponLive deal.
- $11 for one ticket to the Beijing Symphony Orchestra (up to a $48 value)
- When: Saturday, October 19, at 8 p.m.
- Where: State Theatre
- Seating: mid orchestra, mid or upper balcony, or gallery
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click to view the orchestra and the balcony seating chart.
The Beijing Symphony Orchestra is perhaps best known for its performance in the Great Wall at Badaling, a concert that was transmitted via satellite to ears across the planet. Since then, the BSO has continued to perform Eastern and Western music at concert halls across the globe: it has played Carnegie Hall, shared a stage with the London Philharmonic, and traversed major oceans by using cellos as paddleboards. For this performance, conductor Tan Lihua will lead the orchestra alongside Tang Jun Qiao soloing on the Chinese flute.
- Guo Wenjing—Lotus (Lianhua) Overture: A piece written as a message of good will from China to London in 2012, Lotus Overture begins with a striking violin chord before the orchestra blooms to life.
- Guo Wenjing—Concerto for Bamboo Flute, Desolate Mountain: Long, high, disparate notes start this piece, creating an air of tension and anticipation that runs throughout.
- Prokofiev—Romeo and Juliet: Every fight, every insult, and every stolen kiss in Shakespeare's masterpiece comes to life in this work from one of the 20th century's most emotionally grounded composers.
The State Theatre was saved, as its website states, from "the ravages of time." Built in 1921 as a vaudeville and silent-film palace, the venue fell on hard times in the 1970s. In 2003, however, a $3 million renovation restored the State Theatre to much of its original glory, as crews painstakingly rehabbed the ornamental plaster, terracotta exterior, and actor holding cells. Inside the theater, a stunning chandelier sparkles more brightly than ever below the venue's signature dome.
“Every seat has great visibility to stage.”
“Excellent show ”
“Wonderful show! Very odd- very exciting!”
15 Livingston Ave.
New Brunswick, NJ 08901