- $25 for two tickets to see Big Sam's Funky Nation Mardi Gras Dance Party (up to a $50 value)
- When: Friday, February 28, at 8 p.m.
- Where: Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- Seating: lower balcony
- Door time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
Big Sam's Funky Nation Mardi Gras Dance Party
Big Sam's Funky Nation – "Big Ole Booty"
- Big Sam's instrument: the trombone
- When he started his professional career: the tender age of 19
- He's since performed with: Elvis Costello, Allen Toussaint, Dave Matthews, and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band
- Moment in the national spotlight: sharing the stage with U2 and Green Day when the Superdome reopened after Hurricane Katrina
- He has continued to represent his native New Orleans: by regularly playing on HBO's Treme and scatting every time he orders a cheeseburger
- What to expect at his live show with his eponymous collective: according to the San Francisco Chronicle, "...a killer septet of young assassins with an explosive blend of hard-driving funk and the festive sound of New Orleans street parades"
Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
At Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, The University of Connecticut brings inspired evenings of music and theater to the main stage. Nearly 30 events fill the annual schedule, including comedies, family-friendly performances, and music and dance from all corners of the globe, with special emphasis on jazz and classical luminaries. For more intimate evenings with candlelit tabletops and nightclub ambiance, the venue's Cabaret Series won Connecticut Magazine's Best Cabaret award in 2011 and 2012.