A great live performance is something you'll be able to describe to your kids someday, unlike the way they looked midbirth. Scream along to your favorites with this GrouponLive deal.
- $10 for one ticket to see Bill Evans' Soulgrass featuring Jake Cinninger, Kris Myers, and Joel Cummins of Umphrey's McGee (up to a $20.51 value)
- Where: The Abbey Pub
- Section: general admission
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Saturday, September 21, at 11:59 p.m. (doors at 11:30 p.m.)
- Sunday, September 22, at 9 p.m. (doors at 8 p.m.)
Bill Evans' Soulgrass featuring Jake Cinninger, Kris Myers, and Joel Cummins of Umphrey's McGee
Bill Evans Soulgrass performs in Europe in 2011
- Bill Evans is: a genre-bending, Grammy-winning saxophonist who's worked with everyone from Miles Davis to Bela Fleck
- Other illustrious past collaborators: Herbie Hancock, Mick Jagger, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Steps Ahead
- Amazing feat of productivity: finding time to release 19 albums and counting of solo material
- Soulgrass is: "jazz, funk, and bluegrass . . . a seamless and wholly unique hybrid of quintessentially American styles," according to Bill Evans' website
- The other guys: keyboardist Joel Cummins, guitarist Jake Cinninger, and drummer Kris Myers
- What they're known for: playing in Umphrey's McGee, a jam band so popular it put peanut-butter bands out of business entirely
- What audiences can expect from Soulgrass, if a 2009 JazzTimes review is any indication: "an invigorating, high-energy set that expertly incorporated intricate, blazing unison lines on the heads and improvisational abandon in the solo sections"