The Nutcracker dazzles children’s eyes, but it also confirms their deep suspicion that toys come to life, even when no one is looking or poking them repeatedly with cattle prods. Feel the season’s electricity with this GrouponLive deal.
- One G-Pass to see The Nutcracker by the California Ballet, featuring the San Diego Symphony
- Opening-weekend performances will feature Classics Philharmonic in place of the San Diego Symphony
- Meet the cast at a post-show Sugar Plum Party after matinee performances
- Where: San Diego Civic Theatre
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $20 for balcony seating (up to a $46.75 value). All balcony seating involves stairs.
- $40 for rear orchestra seating (up to a $72.50 value)
- $60 for Gold Rope seating in the first 11 rows (up to a $98 value). This option is not available for select performances.
- Click to view a list of available performances.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
Children must be at least 4 years old to attend Nutcracker and require a ticket.
How G-Pass Works: Your G-Pass will be ready to print 48 hours after the deal ends. Print the G-Pass and use it to enter the venue directly; you won't need to redeem at will call. Due to security restrictions, G-Passes cannot be redeemed through the Groupon mobile app.
The Nutcracker presented by California Ballet
Based on a novel by the 19th century romantic fabulist E.T.A. Hoffman, The Nutcracker weaves a magical tale of holiday adventure. Clara, the story's heroine, receives a nutcracker from her godfather, a wizardly toymaker named Drosselmeyer. Sneaking downstairs to see the toy after everyone else has gone to bed, Clara suddenly finds herself caught in the middle of a pitched battle between the toys and an army of mice. After saving the nutcracker with a well-thrown shoe to the Mouse King's head, Clara and her now-living prince venture into the Land of Snow and the Land of Sweets to celebrate amid the dances of nimble snowflakes, the regal Sugar Plum Fairy, and seasonally confused vampires.
Tchaikovsky’s score features some of the most recognizable tunes in the repertoire, repurposed beyond the ballet world in works including Disney's Fantasia, which naturally chose to illustrate the music’s delicate beauty with dancing mushrooms and leaping radishes. Notable sections include the Waltz of the Snowflakes, which floats weightlessly above the angelic voices of a youth choir, and the second act's medley of exotic national dances, including a Spanish bolero and Russian Trepak. The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy's music-box-like theme springs from a celesta, a new instrument Tchaikovsky came across in Paris and hurriedly inserted into the score before his musical rivals could make use of its haunting, bell-like sound.
California Ballet's production of The Nutcracker includes audio and visual spectacles that include a live symphony orchestra and Sugar Plum Fairy tutu covered with more than 4,000 sequins. A long running show for them, they're currently closing in on their 470th Nutcracker performance, and will hit the milestone this season.
Tips from Groupon Customers
“Buy the tickets you won't regret it!”
San Diego Civic Theatre
1100 3rd Avenue
San Diego, California 92101