Theater challenges audiences by blending the real and the imaginary, much like a neighbor who accuses you of giving her goiters with your brain. Enhance reality with this GrouponLive deal.
- $28 for two tickets to see Moliere's The Misanthrope, presented by Guild Festival Theatre (up to a $56 value)
- Where: Greek Theatre in the Guild Gardens
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 30 minutes before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view a list of all available performance.
Alceste cannot stand the woman he loves. The enemy of gossip, affectation, and all things dishonest and flighty, he has fallen hard for Célimène, a shameless flirt and lover of societal customs with an impressive list of suitors and a courting strategy that would benefit from a photocopier. Alceste's crusade for honesty in all things collides with his paramour's fondness for the opposite, tying him to a world he despises. There, a cast of characters are less than amused by his bluntness—one a nobelman whose poetry doesn't meet Alceste's tastes. An underhanded remark later and Alceste faces exile, a permanent departure from the woman he loves, and a life without rhyming couplets.
This misanthrope's tale unfolds in the aptly secluded Guild Gardens. On 88 acres of the rugged Scarborough Bluffs, eight columns join Corinthian capitals and connecting arches to recall the open-air stages of ancient Greece.