Improv comedy shows, unlike criminal-court proceedings and open-heart surgeries, encourage people in the room to shout out suggestions. Explore the extemporaneous with this GrouponLive deal.
- One or two tickets to a ComedySportz Boston improv show
- When: select dates, October 18–December 20
- Where: Davis Square Theatre
- Seating: general admission
- Door time: 30 minutes before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $11 for one ticket (up to an $18 value)
- $20 for two tickets (up to a $36 value)
- Click here to view all options.
Unlike the premium-cable version of Curious George, ComedySportz shows eschew racy material, going so far as to place a brown paper bag over the head of any performer who crosses the boundaries of good taste. The game-based comedy format pits two refereed teams of improvisers against each other, drawing from a repertoire of more than 100 improv scenes for their battleground. Over the course of 7 to 12 games, the red- and blue-clad teams may perform in Shakespearean verse or rapidly fast-forward and reverse a scene at the referee's whim. The audience, meanwhile, is tasked with generating suggestions, choosing the winners at evening's end, and gently consoling the losing team with made-up aspirational quotes.
This formula has proved successful since 1984, when the first ComedySportz flung open its curtains. Now, the franchise has expanded to major comedy hubs including Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles. The latest addition to the fold, ComedySportz Boston, lassos the same spirit and off-the-cuff hilarity as its predecessors, dazzling onlookers with its teamwork, clean but uproarious humor, and ability to turn an audience suggestion into a fully fleshed out scene.