- Two tickets to see Cooley High Live on Stage
- When: select dates, February 14–23
- Where: Harold Washington Cultural Center
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $40 for two general-admission tickets to the mezzanine and balcony (up to $80 value)
- $60 for two VIP tickets (Up to $120 value), including two treats ($10 value), two non-alcoholic drinks ($10 value), one cast photo ($10 value), and one red-carpet photo ($5 value; up to $155 total value)
Cooley High Live on Stage
It's 1964 at Edwin G. Cooley High School on the Near North Side of Chicago, and it seems like the perfect day for high-school buds Cochise and Preach to cut class. They head to the zoo, meet up with friends, flirt with girls, get invited to a party—nothing that seems extraordinary to any of them. But later, at the party, their lives are inescapably altered when they take a ride with their friends Robert and Stone. It seems the Cadillac those two pulled up in might not actually have been theirs, and when the law gets involved, tempers flair and violence splits the two best friends apart forever.
This coming-of-age musical springs from the 1975 film Cooley High, which reached number 23 on Entertainment Weekly's list of 50 Best High School Movies, boasted a hit Motown soundtrack, and inspired Boyz II Men's debut album Cooleyhighharmony. The film's writer, Eric Monte, based it on his experiences growing up in the Cabrini-Green public-housing projects and attending Cooley Vocational High School. Monte went on to co-create Good Times, while the seminal film spawned another American classic on the small screen: What's Happening!!
Harold Washington Cultural Center
Named in honor of Chicago’s first African-American mayor, the Harold Washington Cultural Center hosts theatrical and musical events that echo the center’s mission of African-American cultural preservation. In addition to its entertainment, the center performs community outreach each year to serve more than 45,000 youth through arts programs, teen summits, and special events.