Music is a force powerful enough to calm a baby, soothe a wild beast, or compel the two to dance with each other. Be overcome by this GrouponLive deal.
- $39 for two tickets to see Dionne Farris and The Russell Gunn Quartet (up to an $85.10 value)
- Where: Jazz Cafe at Music Hall
- Section: general admission
- Door time: 30 minutes before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.<p>
- Friday, October 25, at 8 p.m. or 10 p.m.
- Saturday, October 26, at 8 p.m. or 10 p.m.<p>
Dionne Farris and The Russell Gunn Quartet
- Where you first met Dionne: in the hip-hop group Arrested Development, where she sang the smash “Tennessee”
- Number of Grammys she won in that outfit: two
- Wild Seed – Wild Flower: the 1994 solo debut that shot Farris up the charts
- Dionne Farris moment that would have made Paul McCartney cry if he wasn’t all man: her rendition of “Blackbird” on Saturday Night Live in 1995
- The Grammy-nominated Dionne Farris single that she knows you know: “I Know”
- Signs of Life: the comeback album hailed as one of the “Top 10 Soul Albums of 2011” by Creative Loafing Atlanta
- What’s in Dionne’s vocal DNA?: a mix of Diana Ross, P-Funk, Tom Jones, and Billie Holiday
- Russell Gunn’s influences: Miles Davis, LL Cool J
- Grammy-nominated Gunn album you should own: Ethnomusicology Vol. 1.
- What to expect from their collaboration: genre-jumping jazz arrangements of Farris’s hits
- Collaborative album you’ll be compelled to buy after the show: Dionne Get Your Gunn<p>
Detroit Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts
Built in 1928, Detroit Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts dazzles patrons with an ornate art-deco façade and lush Spanish Renaissance interior. Elegant columns, glittering chandeliers, and vibrant geometric patterns create a palatial atmosphere in the lobby. The auditorium's intimately arranged velvet seats leave every viewer within 70 feet of the stage, eliminating the need for binoculars or drawn-out games of telephone describing the onstage action.
92% of 63 customers recommend
“The box office personal is great & helpful. Great place. ”
“The Music Hall is a classic venue. The sculpture of the building is beautiful. Any seat is a good view of the stage and the people are great.”
“What an excellent way to experience different cultures!!!”