There's an unexpected quality to live musical theater—a lead actor might sing in your aisle or an usher could turn out to be Usher. See what happens with this GrouponLive deal.
- Tickets to see Hairspray, plus lunch or dinner for each person
- When: October 12 through November 9
- Where: Arizona Broadway Theatre
- Seating: Choice or select. Choice is indicated in burgundy and select is indicated in tan on the seating chart.
- Each meal includes bread, rolls, or muffins, a choice of soup or salad, and a choice of entree
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to view the seating chart.
- $89 for two tickets (up to a $175 value)
- $169 for four tickets (up to a $350 value)
- Click here to view all available dates and times.
The bubbly Technicolor musical Hairspray, which won the 2003 Tony Award for Best Musical, transforms the theater into swinging 1960s Baltimore. An adaptation of John Waters’s seminal cinematic bonbon, Hairspray tickles cowlicks and bowls over bouffants with its tale of dancing queens, underdogs, and impenetrable ozone layers. Audiences will do the mashed potato in their seats as husky heroine Tracy Turnblad usurps snobbish beauty queens and battles segregation to become an unlikely teen sensation. With its entertaining buffet of romance, eye-popping sets, and irascible Marc Shaiman ditties, Hairspray fills the plates of theater fans with more nourishing laughs and caloric nostalgia than an evening of sharing french toast with Jerry Lewis.
Arizona Broadway Theatre
A Peoria fixture since 2004, Arizona Broadway Theatre combines performances with fine dining, a marriage that helped garner the title of Best Playhouse from PHOENIX magazine in 2010. Curtains open to a cast of talented performers, who were culled from auditions in New York and the Valley of the Sun, and have belted out Broadway staples such as Grease, Fiddler on the Roof, and Singin' in the Rain. Servers glide through the tiered theater hall prior to performances, peppering white tablecloths with platefuls of American fare. Previous show's menus have included such dishes as steak diane's sliced tenderloin paired with sautéed shallots and lyonnaise potatoes, which entertain patrons' stomachs without forcing them to eat the show's program.