Smooth jazz is the sound of sophistication, unlike rough jazz, which is the sound of Louis Armstrong blasting chili out of his trumpet. Lend your ear to upscale scales with this GrouponLive deal.
- $50 for two tickets to Ain't Misbehavin' (an $80 value) plus a cast photo (a $10 value), a red carpet photo (a $10 value), and two drinks (a $20 value; a $120 total value)
- Where: Harold Washington Cultural Center
- When: June 15–23
- Seating: balcony or mezzanine
- Door time: two hours before showtime
- Click here to view all available show options.
Ain't Misbehavin' follows legendary jazz pianist Fats Waller and his cohorts in 1930s Harlem as they create a flurry of infectious hits that set the soundtrack to the Harlem Renaissance. The show, which first opened on Broadway in 1978, went on to win a Tony Award for Best Musical and spawn a Broadway revival and a national tour starring the Pointer Sisters. Chicago’s Cassandra Bell directs the Broadway in Bronzeville production, anchored by tunes that capture Waller’s love of life. “Honeysuckle Rose” and the title track both skip along with juke-joint keys and playfully romantic lyrics.