Folk wisdom about looking a gift horse in the mouth is obsolete, now that horses are no longer bred to belch blinding ammonia. Enjoy improved equine exhalations with this GrouponLive deal.
- Race-day package for twilight horse racing
- When: Friday, April 25, at 5 p.m.
- Where: Hawthorne Race Course
- Seating: general admission with access to an exclusive VIP area in front of the bandstage and along the finish line<p>
- $18 for a race-day package for one (up to a $37 value)
- $32 for a race-day package for two (up to a $74 value)
- $60 for a race-day package for four (up to a $148 value)<p>
Per person, each race-day package includes:
- A live racing program (a $3.50 value)
- A craft beer voucher (a $5 value)
- Commemorative twilight racing souvenir beer glass (an $8.50 value)
- Access to exclusive VIP area (a $10 value)
- $10 wagering coupon (must sign up for free Hawthorne Race Course membership to receive voucher)
The Scouting Report
On April 25, the oval rumbles with a night of live racing as Hawthorne Race Course’s 2014 spring season begins to hit its stride. Spectators can watch the galloping steeds vie for the winner’s circle, sip craft beer from a twilight racing beer glass, and visit the nearby barbecue for delicious victuals. Attendees can also pursue their own prizes by placing $10 wagering coupons on their favorite horses or by placing additional bets using the racecourse’s easy-to-follow instructions, rather than donning a centaur costume and trying to win the race themselves.
Hawthorne Race Course
On May 20, 1891, an estimated 6,000 people attended the first-ever Opening Day at Hawthorne Race Course. The event featured the Chicago Derby—a quarter-mile race won by a horse named Brookwood. Since that day, the facility has thrilled Chicago-area racing fans season after season with live competition and full-card simulcasting. But it hasn't always been easy. In 1905, for instance, racing was banned in Chicago for more than 15 years after several of the facility's horses became mired in a political scandal. And Hawthorne Race Course itself has had to overcome its fair share of adversity, including two fires, the most recent of which destroyed the grandstand in 1978.
Hawthorne Race Course
3501 S Laramie Ave
Cicero, Illinois 60804