Racing on dirt is more unpredictable than racing on asphalt, since at any moment drivers may have to slow down to avoid running over an earthworm. Witness thrilling turns with this GrouponLive deal.
- Tickets to a summer 2013 race
- When: Any event valued at $15 or less for general-admission seating between Saturday, July 6, and Saturday, August 24. See the schedule.
- Where: Knoxville Raceway
- Seating: General admission
- Door time: Two hours before race-time
- Children aged six and under receive free admission
- $15 for two tickets (up to a $30 value)
- $30 for four tickets (up to a $60 value)
- $75 for ten tickets (up to a $150 value)
The Scouting Report
Now in its 60th year of weekly racing, Knoxville Raceway hums with energy throughout the summer as drivers speed and slide around the venue’s dirt track. The Lucas Oil Knoxville Championship Cup series headlines the lineup of summer events, pitting sprint car drivers against each other in a battle for points, cash prizes, and cheers that can fill their applause-o-meters. In addition to the Championship Cup series, the Harris Clash zooms into the raceway on July 18 for an evening of races between modified rides and sports mods.
The Knoxville Raceway can be found on the Marion Fairgrounds in Knoxville, Iowa, a plot of land originally purchased in the late 1800's to house a half-mile horse track. It wasn't until 1914 that the raceway hosted it's first automobile race, after crowds grew tired of contests limited to only one horsepower. Following in the tire tracks of those first events, the site began hosting weekly races in 1954 after lights were added to the facility, and new fencing was built around the track. It was a humble beginning for what has since turned into a decades-old tradition recognized around the globe. Today, super-charged automobiles fly around the raceway from April through September. More than 24,000 fans can pack into the stands to watch winged sprints, late models, and modified racers zip atop black Iowa soil.
1000 N Lincoln St.
Knoxville, Iowa 50138