Seasoned actors can convey subtle emotions to the back row, even through their two-man horse costume. Watch pros at work with this GrouponLive deal.
- Two tickets to see Penfold Theatre Company presents Red
- When: September 13–29
- Where: Trinity Street Theatre
- Seating: reserved
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $20 for a Thursday performance (up to a $40 value)
- $25 for a Friday or Sunday performance (up to a $40 value)
- $30 for a Saturday performance (up to a $40 value)
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn't reflect student or senior discounts.
Winner of the 2010 Tony award for best play, Red peers inside the studio of towering abstract-expressionist Mark Rothko. Set during 1958–59, the play follows Rothko's labors over a series of murals, commissioned for a princely sum by New York's Four Seasons restaurant. As he works, he lectures his young assistant, Ken, on his theories of art and aesthetics, giving viewers a peek into the head of a great artist without releasing the results of his ear exams. Initially meek in the presence of a living legend, Ken begins to push back, challenging the older painter on his idiosyncratic ideas and accusing him of selling out his talent for money. A powerful examination of Rothko's enduring relevancy, the show has won accolades from such media outlets as the Guardian, which called it "something rare in modern drama: a totally convincing portrait of the artist as a working visionary."