- Rainier Symphony's Classical Concert II Featuring Don Quixote
- When: Saturday, February 8, at 7:30 p.m. or Sunday, February 9, at 3 p.m.
- Where: Renton IKEA Performing Arts Center
- Section: general admission
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click to view the seating chart.
- $9 for one adult ticket (up to $16.52 value)
- $15 for two adult tickets (up to $33.04 value)
The value of this deal is based on regular ticket prices and doesn't reflect student or senior discounts. Children 12 and under are admitted free.
- Verdi—La forza del destino Overture: When audiences received this four-act opera with less fanfare than he'd hoped, Verdi returned to the drawing board to broaden its appeal. As well as an off-stage duel and the decision use instruments instead of crying babies, the changes included an epic overture that brought together many of the opera's melodies.
- Vaughan Williams—Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis: Vaughn Williams discovered Tallis's 1567 hymn while editing The English Hymnal in 1906. Using its unusual melody as a jumping-off point, the conversations he created between separate string sections bring a sense of both the ancient and the modern.
- Strauss—Don Quixote: Cellist John Michel joins the symphony for Strauss's affectionate and devoted take on Cervantes's epic comedy. Between introduction and epilogue, 10 variations follow the Don and his faithful squire, Sancho, with the cello taking up the Don's themes as he blunders through his misadventures.
In 12 seasons as Rainier Symphony's Music Director, David Waltman has had plenty of time to look forward. A gifted conductor with an international reputation, Waltman has not only led the community orchestra with an eye toward sustainability, but has collaborated with other arts organizations to create gripping concert experiences. Among the Symphony's partners are the Evergreen City Ballet, Emerald Ballet Theatre, ChoralSounds Northwest, Northwest University, and the Everett Chorale. Recently, Waltman brought yet another great collaborator into the fold—concertmaster Ilkka Talvi, who brings 30 years of violin-playing experience along with him.
Renton IKEA Performing Arts Center
400 S 2nd St.
Renton, Washington 98057