Music is the soundtrack to our lives--from the ballad you slow-danced to at senior prom to the ballad you slowly walked home alone to. Remember the good times with this Groupon.
- One ticket to "'S Wonderful! 'S Marvelous! Gershwin!" featuring the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
- When: Friday, April 19, at 8 p.m.
- Where: State Theatre
- Door time: 6:30 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
- $22 for upper balcony seating (up to a $45 value)
- $30 for mid-orchestra or mid-balcony seating (up to a $61 value)
A melody can take on a life of its own, embedding itself in memories or capturing the imagination–and George Gershwin wrote more than a few. Guest Conductor Gerard Steichen is no stranger to the iconic composer’s work, having performed as a pianist in the New York City Opera's production of Porgy and Bess. With baton in hand, he leads the NJSO, soprano Katrina Thurman, and baritone Jim Weitzer through a selection of unforgettable melodies, jazz-tinged compositions, and sentimental standards. In addition to the evening's musical festivities, the NJSO will be collecting non-perishable food items to benefit The Community FoodBank of New Jersey.
- An American in Paris: A traipsing string section takes listeners on a journey through Parisian streets, complete with blaring taxi horns; it later became the centerpiece the Gene Kelly-starring movie musical of the same name.
- Selections from Porgy and Bess: Cleverly blending jazz and the styles drawn from spirituals and folks songs, Gershwin infused his bluesy, atmospheric score with traditional arias and recitatives in this ground-breaking 1934 opera.
- Selections from Girl Crazy: Legendary tunes such as "Embraceable You", "I Got Rhythm", and "But Not For Me" are memorable not only for Gershwin's irresistible melodies, but for his brother Ira's way with words: "With love to lead the way / I've found more clouds of gray / than any Russian play could guarantee."
- Other selections include songs from the Gershwin revues Someone to Watch Over Me, 'S Wonderful, and Embraceable You.