The true drama of a musical happens down in the orchestra pit, where musicians engage in highly ritualized combat to determine the next song's conductor. See some rising action with this GrouponLive deal.
- $24 for one ticket to A Chorus Line (up to $45 value)
- When: select dates, August 30–September 11; choose a showtime upon checkout.
- Where: Surflight Theatre
- General admission
- Door time: one hour before showtime
- Ticket values include all fees.
A Chorus Line
The longest-running Broadway musical until Cats overtook it in 1997, A Chorus Line is one of the best beloved stage productions of all time. The awards speak for themselves. After one year on stage, it took home nine Tonys, five Drama Desks, a Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and a World's Greatest Grampa mug, although someone may have just left that at the theater. Here's a look at the show through its hits:
- "I Hope I Get It": Seventeen triple threats compete for only eight spots in the titular chorus line, each propelled by a different life story. To make the decision, the director settles on an unconventional method for getting to know his prospective cast members: he asks them.
- "I Can Do That": The youngest of 12 kids, Mike sought the stage as a place to stand out, although he now vies just to find a place in the background.
- "Sing!": As the audience and her fellow auditioners learn firsthand, Kristine has a passion for the stage, but doesn't have a musical bone in her body.
- "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three": Val has learned firsthand that appearances can make or break a performer's career—so in order to land this job, she's banking on her recent plastic surgery.
- "One (Singular Sensation)": The big number of the show being cast takes on new resonance for the director, as his former girlfriend Cassie shows up to audition for a role he knows is beneath her talents.
Surflight Theatre began its culture-spreading mission in 1950, with a shaky tent and a season only three weeks long. Although it has grown enormously since then, one constant remains—its steadfast commitment to the Beach Haven community. In addition to its regular artistic programming, Surflight also gives young performers a chance to tread the boards alongside Broadway professionals.
Tips from Groupon Customers
201 Engleside Ave.
Beach Haven, New Jersey 08008