The best children's shows place a high premium on audience interaction, unlike the opera or traffic court. Rustle up some kid-friendly fun with this GrouponLive deal.
- WGBH FunFest
- When: Saturday, July 13, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: WGBH Studios
- Ticket values include all fees.
- Click here to see the lineup of performers.
- For $10, you get two tickets to the festival (up to a $20 value)
- For $19, you get four tickets to the festival (up to a $40 value)
- For $48, you get a family membership package (up to a $110 total value), which includes a family four-pack of tickets to the festival, valid for two adults and two children (up to a $35 value), and a one-year Kids & Family Club membership (a $75 value)
Rising temperatures mean two things in Boston: fried-egg vendors on every street corner and the return of WGBH's ice-cream- and music-filled FunFest. Strumming whimsical, dance-inducing tunes, some of the biggest local celebrities of children's entertainment join beloved characters such as Peep, Quack, Curious George, and Arthur. Meanwhile, smiling faces slurp ice cream and milkshakes from the likes of Abbott's Frozen Custard, Friendly's, Richardson's Ice Cream, and JP Licks.
At 11 a.m., the mainstage kicks off with an educational performance by Little Groove's duo, who equips tykes with tambourines and shakers as they frolic to tunes about ducks and rainbows. Then Ben Rudnick and Friends serve up Grateful Dead–style jams on child-friendly plates, singing the praises of love and tie-dye. At 1 p.m. Karen K and the Jitterbugs bug out with singalongs about imaginative flights of fancy, followed by the hip-hop dancing of the ITM dance squad and Alastair Moock's custom-made songs about cows.
The annual, ice-cold extravaganza unfolds at WGBH's Brighton studios, PBS's single largest producer of web and TV content, including Nova, Antiques Roadshow, and Frontline. The winner of dozens of honors, including multiple Emmys, Peabodys, and BAFTA Awards, the station funds its eternally enriching programming through viewer donations and membership.