Music is something that only humans make, unless you count the racket birds try to pass off as song. Hear the real stuff with this Groupon.
- $15 for one ticket to XRT/Coors Light Present Back to Baseball featuring JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound (up to $23.75 value)
- When: Friday, March 28, at 9 p.m.
- Where: Cubby Bear
- General admission
- Door time: 8 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound performing "Baaadnews"
- Where you might have seen JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound: at Lollapalooza, Bumbershoot, or in the video for "Rouse Yourself" starring Aubrey Plaza and Jake Johnson
- How the band has been memorably described: "Otis Redding fronting The Stooges"
- How NPR Music describes them: "Soul with its jacket off"
- How Spin magazine described their latest album, 2013's Howl: "Sixties soul swagger meets ragged indie rock with somber results high on melodrama and spunk"
- Howl's indie cred: it's produced by Howard Bilerman of Arcade Fire and Godspeed You! Black Emperor fame
- Coolest cover by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound: their sizzling, upbeat take on the Wilco classic "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart"
- Where to get the story behind this cover: in Groupon's exclusive interview with JC
- Opening the show: Low Down Brass Band
- Their sound: ten (and sometimes more) members squonking on horns, pounding on drums, and drawing call-and-response vocals from the crowd
The Cubby Bear
Stationed across the street from Wrigley Field for nearly 50 years, the Cubby Bear is an institution for game-day drinking. No matter the season, Cubby Bear's 75 plasma screens and five projection screen TVs air sports to the Wrigley crowd who sate themselves on domestic beers and familiar bar eats, including hot dogs and garlicky fries. The 30,000-square-foot venue's ample dance floor comes alive at night when DJs and performers take the stage, churning out jams that range in style from alternative rock to funk to Top 40.
1059 W Addison St
Chicago, Illinois 60613