Exercising often results in unforeseen benefits, such as being as cast as Strong Cat in the community production of Cats. Unlock your potential with this Groupon.
Choose from Four Options
$50 for one personal-training session with a fitness jump-start ($299 total value)
- One month of online-training access for one ($199 value)
- Body-composition analysis for one ($30 value)
- One 60-minute personal-training session for one ($70 value)
$60 for one personal-training session with a deluxe-fit jump-start ($399 total value)
- Everything in the above package ($299 value)
- Nutrition assessment and seven-day meal plan for one ($100 value)
$99 for one partner-training session with a fitness jump-start ($548 total value)
- One month of online-training access for two ($398 value)
- Body-composition analysis for two ($60 value)
- One 60-minute partner-training session ($90 value)
$125 for one partner-training session with a deluxe-fit jump-start ($748 total value)
- Everything in the above package ($548 value)
- Nutrition assessment and seven-day meal plan for two ($200 value)
Building Muscle: Cells on the Move
Read on to learn exactly how fitness classes leave you with more muscle or better tone.
Bulky upper-body muscles might have hindered early humans who had to chase their prey across the plains, but it could help those who often had to climb trees to adjust their satellite dishes. That’s why the body builds muscle according mostly to use: do enough curls, and the biceps expand. As anyone who has experienced post-workout soreness could intuit, those curls are actually a form of controlled damage, making thousands of miniscule tears to the muscle tissue that beckon autoimmune cells to show up alongside testosterone and other hormones. The white blood cells help switch on satellite cells, which are similar to stem cells. Before they’re activated, satellite cells aren’t doing much—instead, they lie dormant around muscle fibers until they’re called into action to repair torn tissue.
This isn’t the only kind of cellular transformation at work in growing muscles. Long muscle cells, which contain several nuclei, can also begin to change type after a workout. Certain kinds of muscle fibers are equipped to handle brief bursts of effort but will quickly become tired if asked to do more intense work. These are the first to disappear as someone starts an exercise routine, as they’re converted into fibers with more endurance. This principle is so dramatic that a sports scientist can generally tell whether someone is a professional athlete or a professional mattress model by examining a minute sample of muscle tissue.
4817 W. Park Blvd
Plano, Texas 75093