Science can be a frightening word, particularly when it's listed under cause of death and followed by three exclamation points. Overcome your fear of knowledge with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
- $18 for general admission for two ($29.90 value)
- $30 for general admission for four ($59.80 value)
- $27 for a one-year individual membership ($45 value)
An individual membership includes:
- Free admission
- 25% off four guest visits per visit
- 10% off purchases at the museum kiosk
- Member e-newsletters
- Invitations to special events
- Free or discounted admission to 270+ partner science centers
- 20% off admission to ZooMiami, Jungle Island, Pérez Art Museum Miami, Miami Seaquarium, and Gold Coast Railroad Museum
- 50% off admission to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science
Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
The Patricia and Philip Frost Museum has spent most of its life outgrowing its digs. It debuted in 1949 as a children's museum, which took off quickly and soon expanded into the Museum of Science and Natural History in 1952. In 1960, it again needed more space and moved to its current site, and now an even larger space is being built, set to open in 2016.
But throughout all its physical changes, its mission remains the same, "We inspire people of all ages and cultures to enjoy science and technology, in order to better understand ourselves and our world."
Size: as of now, the site stands at 48,000 square feet; plans for the new space will expand that to 250,000 square feet over five levels
Eye Catcher: tour the Wildlife Center, where the staffers care for injured wildlife—specifically majestic birds of prey—and release them back into the wild
Permanent Mainstay: the Planetarium, where PBS's Jack Horkheimer: Star Gazer was filmed, boasts a 65-foot-diameter domed projection screen
Don't Miss: in the late afternoon, the planetarium hosts Legends of the Night Sky Laser Show, which teaches kids how to find constellations using lasers and Greek myths
Hands-On Experiments: in Nano, kids manipulate large-scale mechanisms as they familiarize themselves with the principles behind nanoscience
Special Programs: the museum’s Sea Lab features beautiful underwater creatures and coral reefs. Guests can get up close and personal as they reach out to touch a starfish or a sea urchin or have a cleaner shrimp nibble at their nails
Tips from Groupon Customers
“Get there for the laser Show :)”
“Great place to go with kids :)”
“We had a great time! :) ”
Northeast Coconut Grove
3280 S Miami Ave.
Miami, Florida 33129