Though now commonplace, acting was condemned in colonial times as "public lying," with offenders being yanked off the streets with novelty-size shepherd's crooks. Embrace vaudevilliany with today’s Groupon to Pittsburgh Musical Theater's production of Hairspray at the Byham Theater. Choose between the following options:
- For $20, you get one section-A adult ticket (up to a $39.75 value). Seats are located in the floor orchestra left and right in rows G, H, and J and the orchestra center in rows R, S, T, and U; in the mezzanine left and right in rows AA, BB, and CC and the mezzanine center in rows EE and FF; and in the gallery center, left, and right in rows A, B, C, D, and E.
- For $17, you get one section-B adult ticket (up to a $34.75 value). Seats are located in the gallery center, left, and right in rows F–J.
Attendees can choose from seven performances:
- Thursday, May 5 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 6 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 8 at 2 p.m.
- Friday, May 13 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 14 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 15 at 2 p.m.
Children's tickets cost up to $20.25 for section A and up to $17.75 for section B; student tickets are half off adult prices.
The Pittsburgh Musical Theater Company sings and dances under the bright lights onstage at the Byham Theater, belting out Broadway tunes to applauding audiences. On May 5, the curtains open on Hairspray, a tuneful tribute to the '60s about a young girl wishing to dance on The Corny Collins Show. As bouffanted heroine Tracy Turnblad endeavors to realize her dreams, social structures are shaken up, new dance crazes are invented, and hairstyles hula-hoop with reckless abandon.