Still-life paintings are the easiest kind to do because everything you’re painting is already dead, thus holding still. Try out these subjects for your next still life:
- A skull being used as a vase
- A bunch of mangoes in a bowl but one of them is purple
- Two teakettles. They don’t have faces, but do they somehow seem to be … talking to each other?
- The bust of an ancient emperor sitting on a little girl’s nightstand
- A wooden table strewn with a bunch of dead quail
- A harpsichord gathering dust in a corner while a shiny electric guitar sits, well cared for, in a stand
- A man’s hat, pipe, and book all sit on his chair, which has the imprint of his body, but there is no sign of the man.
- A bunch of absurdly wet fruit