Fencing is America's favorite sport because it combines the visceral excitement of swordplay with the stylish outfits of beekeeping. Fight fashionably with this Groupon.
$75 for Five-Day Youth Beginner's Fencing Camp ($155 Value)
Choose from the following dates:
- Monday, June 10–Friday, June 14, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday, June 17–Friday, June 21, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday, July 8–Friday, July 12, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday, July 22–Friday, July 26, from 10 a.m. to noon
- Monday, August 5–Friday, August 9, from 10 a.m. to noon
- Monday, August 19–Friday, August 23, from 10 a.m. to noon
At each camp, instructors teach boys and girls aged 7–14 the tenets of fencing, such as safely using the equipment, footwork, and offensive and defensive maneuvers. At the end of the week, students can test their new skills by fencing a more experienced opponent.
Utah Swords Academy
Sergei Gritsaev taught his first student to swing a saber more than 30 years ago in his native Ukraine. Throughout the course of those three decades, also Sergei progressed and went on to train the country’s national team for the world championships. Now, assisted by two other coaches, he hones Salt Lake City’s finest competitive and recreational swords folk at Utah Swords Academy. There, he teaches his students the art of manipulating fencing’s three classic blades: foil, épée, and saber. No matter the chosen blade, Sergei begins each course of study by focusing on footwork and vocabulary. After students learn to walk the walk and talk the talk, lessons progress to more complex blade techniques, including feints, defenses, and long-legged lunges.
8385 Allen Street
Sandy, Utah 84070