Choose from Six Options
- $115 for six laser hair-removal treatments on a small area ($350 value)
- $165 for six laser hair-removal treatments on a medium area ($770 value)
- $299 for six laser hair-removal treatments on a large area ($1,400 value)
- $65 for three laser hair-removal treatments on a small area ($175 value)
- $89 for three laser hair-removal treatments on a medium area ($335 value)
- $169 for three laser hair-removal treatments on a large area ($700 value)
Hair Growth: It’s Just a Phase
Waxing works because the hair on our body grows differently than the hair on our heads. Check out Groupon's guide to hair growth to learn the science behind strands.
Hair varies in thickness and length across our body, from the head's massive jungle to the knuckles' tiny brambles. But regardless of where it is, each strand of hair cycles through three phases: anagen, also known as the active growth phase; catagen, or transitional phase; and telogen, or resting phase. During the growth phase, a new hair shaft sprouts from a follicle as its cells rapidly divide and grow upward, forming tightly packed bundles rich with keratin protein. Next, the transition phase kicks in for about two to three weeks, during which growth stops and the outer root sheath shrinks, anchoring the hair to the follicle as it enters the final phase. At that point, the follicle lies dormant until the hair is shed and the cycle begins again.
Not all hair grows at the same rate. On the scalp, hair grows about 6 inches per year, with each strand spending about two to six years in the active phase. Meanwhile, hair on the arms, legs, eyelids, and eyebrows actively grows for a much shorter period—only about 30–45 days—and spends more time in the resting phase, which is why waxing these areas helps curb unwanted hair growth. Humans need removal methods such as waxing because we don't shed our hair all at once like other mammals; our hair-growth cycles are random and staggered, whereas other animals' cycles are mostly synchronized.
288 Sand Ln.
Staten Island, New York 10305