Click above to buy this Groupon for Sunday, March 7, at 3:05 p.m. vs. Trenton Devils. Click on the links below for other games.
- Buy here for Sunday, January 31, at 3:05 p.m. vs. South Carolina Stingrays.
- Buy here for Friday, February 12, at 7:35 p.m. vs. Elmira Jackals.
- Buy here for Friday, March 5, at 7:35 p.m. vs. Charlotte Checkers.
- Buy here for Sunday, March 14, at 3:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo Wings.
- Buy here for Sunday, March 21, at 3:05 p.m. vs. Toledo Walleye.
- Buy here for Friday, March 26, at 7:35 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo Wings.
- Buy here for Friday, April 2, at 7:35 p.m. vs. Reading Royals.
The original incarnation of hockey, known as hokey, consisted of one person playing against his or her self to see how many blue lines he or she could draw in concentric circles around a puck while figure skating. For inconceivable reasons, this version quickly fell by the wayside as the motion blurring, body slamming, and puck chucking of modern hockey gained ascendance. For $10, today's Groupon gets you one ticket to see the Wheeling Nailers at the WesBanco Arena in Wheeling, WV ($18.50 value, including arena fee). Choose the date and opponent from the links above, or sate your fascination for watching Zambonis smooth the ice by buying them all.
There is no limit on buying blocks of tickets for a single game, making this a great opportunity to repay the family of wolves that raised you by giving them a physical, fast-paced show on ice. Your tickets will be in the platinum/gold section, giving you a panoramic view of the clash of the ice titans. Present your Groupon at the box office on game day to receive your tickets.
The Nailers are the AA affiliate of the Penguins. Come see the young players strut their stuff as they skate toward the big leagues. It’s like watching an episode of Before They Were Stars without knowing it. Hockey is like the magnificent mutt of the sporting world. You get the speed of basketball, the elegance of ice-skating, and the utter brutality of golf all combined in one action-packed event. Take your adrenaline-deprived librarian friend or entire cul-de-sac out for a raucous afternoon or evening of hard hits and flashing lights.
The Intelligencer has covered numerous Nailers games. Here's what they say about a thrilling match against the first-place Toledo Walleye:
- But Wheeling jumped right back as newcomer Zack Sill won a battle for the puck and centered it to Capraro who went top shelf for his fourth to tie it 2-2 after two. It remained that way until Sill headed the puck to Casey Pierro-Zabotel, who carried it into the Toledo zone and down the left side until he nearly passed up the goal. But just as he was about to, he fed it to Capraro on the other side, and he put it into the open net.…There were some tense moments at the end including a spectacular save with 5:55 left on Ewing, who lunged and hit the puck toward and [sic] open cage. But Teslak somehow recovered in time to make the save. – Shawn Rine
2 14th St.
Wheeling, West Virginia 26003Get Directions