In 1910, when apothecaries regularly doled out narcotics and opiates for issues such as headaches or nausea, Joseph Meyer was planting natural alternatives to the questionable contents of the brown bottles. Through research, careful tending of herbs and medicinal plants, and labor negotiations with garden-gnome unions, Meyer's small operation grew steadily. He acquired a tract of land on the Little Calumet River where he grew medicinal plants and cultivated flora. Eventually, the tract of land was finished with an English gabled building and given a name: Indiana Botanic Gardens, Inc.
More than a century after Meyer actualized his vision of providing natural health alternatives, his family continues to champion his idea. They curate an ever-expanding inventory that includes vitamins, nutritional supplements, and bulk herbals—all of which may be purchased both in-store and online.