The Choice serves up an array of classic American cuisine, from free-range chicken breast and braised salmon to stuffed burgers and pizza. The eatery also hosts live jazz and blues performances, luring in esteemed artists such as Martha & the Vandellas.
Designed for pint-probing neophytes of the 21-plus persuasion, Beer School opens an interactive window to the world of brewski connoisseury at the historic Anheuser-Busch brewery. A flight master begins your session with a beerscape rundown, including the effects of individual ingredients on the final product, as well as the secret reason behind each draft-filled flagon’s frothy top. The half-hour class also includes ample taste testing in order to differentiate the elemental baseline of Budweiser from other Anheuser-Busch elixirs. Following the class, pupils receive certificates of tasting completion and hop on a complimentary hops tour.
More than a century ago, the architects of The Lemp Brewery complex faced a problem: how should they keep their beer cold? Refrigerators weren't yet around, and it'd be too difficult to tow an iceberg down from the Arctic. Their solution: going 100 feet underground, where old caves were naturally cool... or so they thought. In fact, the chilly air here wasn't caused by lack of sunlight?it was the result of an ancient curse. Today, visitors can still tour the subterranean brewery, now appropriately known as the Abyss. It's hardly abandoned. Around every turn waits a new monster, none of whom are friendly enough to offer any complimentary growlers.
The Abyss is just one of Scarefest's three chilling destinations. Creepyworld houses 12 attractions, including a series of mazes filled with everything from burning cars to ravenous zombies. In another part of town, a haunted house known as The Darkness plunges visitors into a world of terror. In its two-decade history, the haunted house has even shown up on national TV, which is not too bad a gig for a place infested by deranged clowns.
The artists behind Art Monster set their sights on all sorts of blank canvases—from hoodies to sports cars to biceps—and transform them into eye-catching pieces of artwork. Owner Chris Sabatino keeps the modern studio in pristine condition all week long for his staff to decorate bodies with intricate tattoos. They also infuse wardrobes with a bit of attitude by custom airbrushing illustrations of their clients' favorite sports teams, animals, or Pantone swatches.
This three-story home might look unremarkable from the outside, but inside it holds a wealth of St. Louis history. The Eugene Field House & St. Louis Toy Museum opened in 1836 and has since been named a National Historic Landmark, most likely because it once housed not one, but two men important to American history.
The Building: A line of 12 rowhouses were built here, in 1845, and Roswell Field and his family lived there for 14 years, from 1850 until 1864. Today, it's the last of the row left standing, and it's been lovingly restored both inside and out to appear much as it did in the late 19th century.
The Home: Decorated in period furnishings, including many that belonged to the Field family, the first floor holds an era-specific parlor and dining room. The second features the master bedroom.
Dred Scott: The second floor also holds Roswell Field's study, which doubles as an exhibit on the landmark case of Dred Scott, a slave seeking freedom for whom Roswell acted as attorney as the case made its way to the Supreme Court
The Toys: Eugene Field, Roswell's son, made a name for himself in the literary world, first as a humor writer for daily newspapers, then as a children's poet. Most people will probably know him for penning, among many, "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod." He was also an avid toy collector. The third floor displays a rotating collection of toys dating back to the 1790s, plus two and a half centuries' worth of books.
Past Exhibit: Over 200 "Liberty of London" dolls from the 1950s, which include famous people from politics, literature, and science
When it was first established in the early 1850s, the neighborhood known as Lucas Place was a piece of farmland on its way to becoming the first clearly defined wealthy suburb of St. Louis. Much has changed since then, as the city has expanded around the neighborhood and many of the elegant buildings have made way for more modern incarnations. One building, however, has largely stayed the same.
Built in 1851, the Campbell House was the home of renowned fur trader and businessman Robert Campbell and his family. The Campbells would continue to occupy the house until 1938, acquiring furniture, paintings, clothing, and other period artifacts to fill the house over the years. The family also took a detailed set of interior photographs in the 1880s that were only rediscovered in the late 20th century. These photographs would prove to be of great historical importance, as they formed the basis for a massive renovation project that would result in the opening of the Campbell House Museum.
Today, the Campbell House Museum attracts visitors from St. Louis and beyond, many of whom come to get a glimpse of what the city was like before modern conveniences such as electricity. The house retains many of the family's original possessions, as well as library books and state archives that offer a further glimpse into 19th-century American life.