St. Marys, the site of Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base?one of the world's two Trident submarine bases?was a
natural choice for a museum devoted to the Silent Service. Yet the curators and collectors went above and beyond. The finished dive into deep-sea history is the largest of its kind in the South and the fifth largest in the country, giving a comprehensive look at life under the water.
- Size: 20,000 savaged artifacts, paintings, models, and photographs spread across 5,000 square feet
- Eye Catcher: replicas of torpedoes and WWII deep-sea diving suits
- Crown Jewel: the museum's modern, working periscope, which gives kids of all ages the chance to see if there's another museum sneaking up on them
- Don't Miss: a display honoring the eight submariners who received the Medal of Honor
- Hidden Gems: previously classified WWII Patrol Reports?the museum houses more than 99% of all such documents