Fitness trainer Cory Schidler knows how to get his clients' cores—the abs, glutes, and lower back—strong and functional. In their first session, Cory performs an 11-point assessment that guides his overall workout plan. A range of more than 500 exercises means that each individual's fitness program is both effective and attainable, and these goals can be met in regular group classes or one-on-one private sessions.
An accredited member of both the American Sanctuary Association and the Association of Sanctuaries, Southwest Wildlife succors scores of injured critters with its comprehensive medical and rehabilitation facilities. Stewards of the hospital's wild recoverees reintroduce 70% of patients to the wild, with the remaining 30% living out their lives in the confines of center's sanctuary. During privately scheduled tours, outdoor onlookers stroll through the hospital and refuge, standing witness to on-the-mend populations of displaced javelina, hunted coyote and bobcats, and raccoons injured during casino heists. Visitors to the center also reap the noggin rewards of numerous educational curriculums, packing brain space with knowledge about topics ranging from communing with Arizona's wildlife to the center's central role in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Mexican Grey Wolf Recovery Program.
Golf visionary Nancy Collins wanted to help women learn golf fundamentals and find a network of like-minded players. To these ends, she founded the all-female league Sassy Golf. After establishing a presence in Denver, Sassy Golf has expanded to include the golf-friendly clime of the Phoenix and Scottsdale area, and participating courses include Troon North and TPC Scottsdale. Throughout the week, members convene on different courses to participate in relaxed outings. The flexible scheduling allows busy members to register for the outings, clinics, and demonstrations that do not conflict with their personal schedules or mysterious inability to be in the same place as a popular superhero. In addition to ladies-only adventures, Sassy Golf coordinates monthly 18-hole coed outings.
As they enter the training circle at Curves, female guests come face-to-face with the smiles of other women. And just as points on a circle share a common distance from the circle's center, workout participants share the experiences of those nearby by trading stations throughout the 30-minute training session. One minute is spent on a piece of strength-training equipment built for feminine frames and designed to work two opposing muscle groups with a single movement. Exercisers then move on to a recovery station, where they run, jog, or dance to maintain heart rates and keep platforms in place during momentary losses of gravity.
To honor the mighty men and women who've given their all for the country, the 2014 Salute Our Troops Run puts running shoes on the ground in a scenic shuffle packed with pride. It's all for a good cause, too: the run benefits the Military Assistance Mission of Arizona in providing financial aid and morale for current Arizona active duty military, their families, and wounded warriors. With races in both Phoenix and Tucson, participants can absorb the scenery on the 5K run/walk or leapfrog over their next of kin in the family fun run. Afterward, achievers collect their awards and a festival for families features jump castles, crafts, a military honor wall, and a special military ceremony.
As head instructor at Grayhawk Learning Center, PGA Class A Member Jeff Yurkiewicz calls on more than 12 years of teaching experience to help players improve their individual games. Jeff perpetuates the thorough understanding of the sport he received from his mentors, both Golf Magazine Top 100 instructors: Paul Trittler, host of Golf Academy Live on the Golf Channel, and Peter Kostis, whose detailed commentary on CBS Sports telecasts keeps viewers informed as to each blade of grass?s exact length. In addition to his work with Trittler and Kostis, Jeff boasts an impressive playing resum? of his own, making appearances in both the 2003 Phoenix Open and the 2005 PGA Championship at Baltusrol.