Theatre Harrisburg has always had community at its heart. Born in the "Little Theatre Movement" of the 1920s, the first place it called home was the basement of the Harrisburg Public Library. It was there that Mrs. Peters, president of the Women's University Club, gathered nine other women to discuss the creation of a volunteer-based company that could produce quality plays. And the women took action. For decades volunteers on and off the stage bounced from venue to venue putting on shows such as The Dover Road, until 1950, when it found its first home at Sixth and Hurlock in uptown. Then, in 1997, the Theatre made a commitment to be the resident company at the new Whitaker Center. Still, whether putting musicals such as The Rocky Horror Show or non-musical dramas, such as a version of Death of a Salesman with all the tap numbers taken out, Theatre Harrisburg relies on the talent of the community.