Sightseeing in St. Catharines

Select Local Merchants

The Niagara Historical Society & Museum seeks out the details of local historical events to highlight the stories behind the history. This quest for the details began when the Historical Society’s first president and museum founder, Janet Carnochan, wrote about the history of the community and collected artifacts that represent the history of the region. The museum collection began in 1896, and grew to chronicle the battles, refugee emigrations, and recreational developments that shaped the region. Today the museum houses more than 8,000 artifacts and 40,000 documents that rotate through the permanent exhibits, including a powder horn belonging to Chief Joseph Brant, uniforms from the War of 1812, and early Canadianna furniture. The museum’s historical significance even extends to the three separate buildings that house its artifacts. The high-school building was originally constructed in 1875, and Memorial Hall was recognized as the oldest museum building in the province by the Ontario Heritage Trust.

43 Castlereagh St
Niagara on the Lake,
ON
CA