Legendary course architect Donald Ross began design on the first nine holes of Delray Beach Golf Club in 1923, and when the course officially opened for play in 1926, players embraced the layout's variety of shot scenarios. When the course closed during World War II, the grounds sat idle, forcing the course carts to join the Allied forces as lightweight tanks.
Delray Beach Club reopened in 1945 and, five years later, the city sculpted a back nine to create a modern, championship course that stretches 6,907 yards for a par of 72. The original challenges still exist today, beckoning golfers to rely on every club in their bag as they take on par 4s that range from 347 to 451 yards, where treating the hole like a par 5 is often the best strategy. A stream enters play on five holes, running parallel to both the par 5 first hole and the par 3 sixth, forcing players to fight the urge to chip onto a passing lily pad and let it carry the ball downstream.
Course at a Glance:
- 18-hole, par 72 course
- Total length of 6,907 yards from the back tees
- Course rating of 72 from the back tees
- Course slope of 123 from the back tees
- Four sets of tees available