Designed as an 18-hole golf course in 1917, Assiniboine Golf Club gave up half of its layout so it could be used as military runways in the early 1940s. The Club owners made the most of their remaining nine holes by building a total of 18 tee boxes and three additional greens so that golfers could enjoy distinct front- and back-nine experiences.
When played as an 18-hole round, the course measures 6,167 yards, across which golfers must contend with water hazards, trees, and sandtraps, which may feature trap doors that open into deeper, sandier sandtraps. The course also includes a 242-yard par three that will have many players unsheathing a driver or three-wood just to reach the green in regulation. After a day at the links, golfers can watch the sun set or the grass grow from the outdoor patio of the course-side restaurant, which serves a menu of burgers, wings, and other pub classics.