Truffled prawns anchor a five-course tasting menu prepared by Chef Curtis Demyon in a clubhouse that dates back to 1929
THE FINE PRINT
Hailing from Saskatoon, Chef Curtis Demyon developed a passion for food made with fresh ingredients from an early age, picking fresh vegetables from his family's garden and learning butchering and sausage-making from his father. Demyon went on to attend culinary school at Dubrulle Culinary Institute in Vancouver, and before settling at the Fish House in Stanley Park, he honed his craft at Vancouver establishments such as Joe Fortes, Coast, Langara Fishing Lounge, Social at le Magasin, and The Century Plaza Hotel before completing his Red Seal in 2007. Today's Reserve selection puts his mastery on display with a five-course chef's tasting dinner for two or four. Each diner enjoys the following:
The crackling of a brick fireplace charges the air inside the Fish House at Stanley Park, its warming glow an apt precursor to the first course: a rich, velvety puree of roasted garlic and potatoes studded with escargot and crispy bacon. The asparagus salad with warm duck-confit and pecorino fritters drops subtle hints of sweet with its candied walnuts and citrus vinaigrette, flavours that emerge more boldly in the housemade sorbet that follows. But the first three courses are all opening acts for the headliner: grilled prawns slathered with black-truffle beurre blanc on a sumptuously earthy bed of wild mushrooms, pork cheek, and smoked potato. As far as presentation goes, the most inventive dish may be the last: a layered coconut spongecake with passion-fruit ganache, Oreo streusel, and a compressed pineapple garnish.
Surrounded by cedar trees and verdant bushes, the green clapboard clubhouse now known as the Fish House in Stanley Park winds the clock back to a time of rustic gentility. Built in 1929, the house was originally known as the Sports Pavilion, a cozy spot for local golfers and tennis players to rest their legs and replenish. Today, it draws in guests as they move through North America's third-largest urban park, its eggshell trim sparkling through a canvas of deep green. Along with scenic views of the surrounding park, the Fish House overlooks English Bay, where guests may glimpse passing ships or black-market fish transactions between passing herons.