From Our Editors
Fixe Austin: A User’s Guide
- Appetizer: sweet tea pickles with chicharrones-style hot sauce
- Entree: duck breast with black-eyed pea cassoulet and duck-fat hushpuppy
- Dessert: Red Flint porridge with caramelized banana and sorghum brittle
Where to Sit: At the chef’s table, for a view of chef James Robert conducting the pots, pans, and grills in his open kitchen
When to Go: Sunday nights, to experience the most realized expression of Fixe’s mission: an homage to the Sunday suppers at his grandmother's house that Chef Robert experienced during his childhood in Louisiana
While You’re Waiting
- Snag a barrel-aged cocktail from the bar
- Check out the Southern antiques and framed mirrors along the walls
Critic’s Picks: The Austin Chronicle raved about the beef tendon, calling them “savory cotton candy puffs that disappear on the tongue,” and the cornmeal pancakes—“ethereal miniatures”—which are served with the beef tartare.
- The daily social menu, featured from 4–7 everyday, is good excuse to grab discounted post-work cocktails and pop butter biscuits into your mouth
- If you’re with a group, look into the four distinctly designed private dining areas. The Parlour Room, a space that seats up to 12, features a motif that weaves eclectic vintage and modern decor.