From Our Editors
Five Things to Know About Houndstooth Coffee
“I just wanted to bring better coffee to Texas because that’s where I’m from,” Sean Henry says of his Houndstooth Coffee, a humble, high-end beanery that opened on Lamar Boulevard but is slowly expanding to other locations. Credit Henry’s high standards, the diversity of beverages on hand, or the sleek, modern aesthetic of the shop itself, but Houndstooth has nabbed the Austin Chronicle’s Readers Choice award for “Best Coffee” two years in a row. Read on to learn more about what makes this local coffee spot so special:
- Henry’s coffee knowledge runs deep. After graduating from the University of Texas at Austin, Henry began exploring the particularities of coffee by region, then set about honing his craft at a number of local cafes.
- You won’t find any cold, snooty staff members here. All of the shop’s baristas are trained to national standards and will happily break down any drink on the menu, shattering the image of the aloof coffee snob many have come to expect.
- There are free public coffee tastings twice a week. It makes it easy to sample the newest brew or just switch up your coffee routine.
- There’s plenty of room to relax or peck away at your laptop. The spacious interior contrasts wood grain with metallic accents, all of which are cast in the warm, natural light that pours through the full-wall window facing Lamar.
- Not a coffee drinker? No problem. Order a glass of wine or a cold bottle of beer from one of the country’s best craft breweries.