From Our Editors
Scampo: A User’s Guide
- Lobster pizza: a super-thin crust topped with heavy cream, crystallized shallots, lots of the namesake lobster, ricotta salata, and parmesan cheese
- Classic spaghetti aglio e olio: spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, and hot pepper flakes
Who’s Cooking: * James Beard Award-winning Chef Lydia Shire
- Designated “Best Italian Restaurant in Boston” by The Daily Meal
- Won OpenTable’s “Diner’s Choice Award” in 2014
- Lobster pizza was named the Best Slice in Massachusetts by Food Network Magazine
Where to Sit: the secluded 60-seat patio.
Fun Fact: Scampo means “escape” in Italian, which is fitting considering the restaurant sits on the first floor of the the Liberty Hotel, which used to be a jail.
Inside Tip: All seven versions of the spaghetti are available gluten-free.
While You’re in the Neighborhood
Before: Stroll through the world-famous Boston Common green space
After: Get a drink where everyone knows your name (provided your name is Norm) at the original Cheers Boston (84 Beacon Street), which inspired the classic TV show.