From Our Editors
In Focus: Fattoush
- The food: Middle Eastern cuisine
- Service: brunch, lunch, dinner, and catering
- Reservations: recommended, especially for parties of five or more
- Decor: Bright is the key word here. It describes the stained glass with nature scenes, the walls painted with abstract and building designs, and even the exterior paint colors and landscaping.
- What the name means: Fattoush is a type of salad generally made with cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions, pita pieces, and grilled eggplant coated in sumac which gives it its sour taste.
- What to order if you can't decide: a few different mezza (small plates), like hummus, moussaka, or m’nazaleh—a ratatouille with eggplant and walnuts
- Two breakfasts in one: cornflake-crusted french toast
- Finger-licking dessert: baklava
- If you like smoothies more than you do soda: Try the laban, a yogurt drink—like a thinner version of lassi— flavored with mint, mango, or pomegranate.