From Our Editors
Ike’s Place: A User’s Guide
- Super Mario with meatballs, marinara sauce, and mozzarella sticks
- Backstabber with caesar dressing, chicken, provolone, and artichokes
- Vegan Captain Kirk with avocado, sweet orange glaze, faux breaded chicken, and dairy-free cheese
- Named Best Vegan Meatballs in America by PETA
- Voted Best Sandwich Shop in 2009 and 2010 by San Francisco Chronicle
- Voted Best Sandwich in 2009 and 2010 by San Francisco Weekly
As Seen on TV
- On Man v. Food, Ike’s creations prompted Adam Richman to claim: “As far as sandwiches go, I may have very well left my heart in San Francisco.”
- Duff Goldman called the Backstabber sandwich his favorite messy food on Food Network’s The Best Thing I Ever Ate.
Inside Tip: Diners don’t have to be meat-eaters or wheat-eaters to enjoy an Ike’s sandwich. The menu boasts vegan analogs of some of the most popular sandwiches, as well as gluten-free bread.
How to Avoid the Lines: Order in advance over the phone or through Ike’s Facebook page. Otherwise, be prepared for a wait of up to two hours. Ike’s serves nearly 1,200 customers per day, and the lines reach such epic lengths that they were featured in the New York Times.