From Our Editors
Johnny Foley’s Irish House: A User’s Guide
- Appetizer: mussels in Irish whiskey cream sauce
- Entree: prime rib with burgundy jus
- Dessert: Irish soda bread and butter pudding
- Cocktail: “Thelonious Monk” with rum, amaretto, and cola
- In the main bar: classic rock cover bands and solo performers
- In the cellar bar: dueling pianos
Awards and Acclaim
- Named one of the best Irish pubs in San Francisco by Zagat
- Finalist for “Best Irish Pub” 2014, as voted on by readers of Bay Area A-List
- Praised by Zagat as having “the magic to keep people coming back.”
While You’re in the Neighborhood
Before: Marvel at rare and first-edition manuscripts—some of them dating back to the seventeenth century—at The Brick Row Book Shop (49 Geary Street).
After: Belt out tunes in a private, Hello Kitty-themed karaoke room at Pandora Karaoke & Bar (177 Eddy Street).
If You Can’t Make It, Try This: The Cheiftan Irish Pub & Restaurant (198 5th Street), which serves up traditional Irish bangers and mash.