From Our Editors
In Focus: La Boulange
- Baked specialties: macarons, tarts, quiches, tea-sized sandwiches
- French credentials: Before setting up shop in San Francisco, founder Pascal Rigio worked for bakers around Paris and Bordeaux.
- Number of locations: 20+
- Coffee credentials: It’s all organic.
- Reason to stop in often: The menus change with the seasons, reflecting produce such as rhubarb in the spring and parsnips in the winter.
- Stuff La Boulange makes from scratch, besides the baked goods: all of its sauces, dressings, and soups
- Where else you might have tasted its croissants: Starbucks, which acquired the small chain in 2012 and serves its baked goods in its stores.