From Our Editors
In Focus: Lefty O’Doul’s
- Neighborhood: Union Square
- The name behind the name: Lefty was a major league baseball player in the early 20th century who was born in San Francisco and still holds the title of 4th-highest batting average on record.
- Main attractions: craft beers and quick, hefty meals, such as hand-carved pastrami and corned beef
- Great special: barbecue spare ribs on Thursday nights
- Must-drink drink: this bloody mary is the stuff of legend, reportedly created by baseball legend O’Doul himself
- Best activity besides people watching: stopping into the on-site piano bar or watching the live musicians who play the restaurant almost every night of the week
- Added bonus: the restaurant also serves breakfast starting at 7 a.m.