From Our Editors
In Focus: The Lone Star Saloon
- Year established: 1989
- Reason for its fame: Lone Star claims to be the world’s first bear bar.
- Typical crowd: bears, bikers, other members of the LGBT community
- The vibe: like an old-school tavern, with barrels of peanuts and a long, solid-wood bar
- Things to do besides drink: Play pool or count the pennies on the floor.
- Where to go when the resident DJs play: Head to the small dance floor.
- Best place to get some fresh air: the outdoor patio
- Best time to go for cheap drinks: happy hour (Monday–Thursday from 2–8 p.m.)