From Our Editors
Five Things to Know About Mescolanza
Though it changed ownership in 1998, Mescolanza hasn’t lost any of the local charm it started out with in 1987. Read on to learn more about this neighborhood gem serving up consistent, tasty Italian fare:
- Owner Ruben Macedo started out as Mescolanza’s pizza chef. Today, Ruben still does much of the cooking, along with his wife and co-owner Maria.
- Don’t judge this restaurant by its cover. Mescolanza’s plain white exterior and faded awning belies the cozy atmosphere and authentic Italian cuisine inside. Regulars love the intimate dining room, and the cuisine surprised a reviewer from SF Gate, who praised the restaurant’s “interesting [flavor] combinations.”
- The restaurant has plenty of loyal fans. The beloved Outer Richmond spot was featured on an episode of Check, Please! Bay Area, and diners couldn’t get enough of the beef carpaccio or the innovative pear pizza with prosciutto, feta, and fresh basil.
- Don’t miss the gnocchi. Though there are three kinds of handmade gnocchi here, the gnocchi spinachi with spinach and creamy tomato sauce is a fan favorite.
- You can request a birthday serenade. If it’s your birthday, get ready for a full operatic performance of “Happy Birthday” by one vocally talented waiter.