From Our Editors
Reed & Greenough: A User’s Guide
- The Braveheart cocktail with White Horse scotch, ginger syrup, honey, lemon, and angostura bitters
- The Pisco Brulee cocktail with Encanto Pisco, egg white and lemon juice, brulee top finish made from aged rum and angostura bitters
Curiosities and Origin Stories
- The bar is equipped with special taps that fill beers in less than two seconds
- The name derives from a wooden sign the owners discovered beneath the building’s modern facade. They kept the sign up and adopted the name, tracing it back to a Union Street feedlot from the mid-1800s.
- The aforementioned sign was salvaged after the 1906 earthquake and repurposed by a gin distillery in the lounge’s current location.
Where to Sit: Any one of the of the many plush couches or tufted leather chairs
When to Go:Wine lovers should drop in during happy hours for half-off wine by the glass, as well as for the “Wines of the Week” feature that showcases a new winery every week.
While You’re Waiting: Shoot pool or try your hand at the shuffleboard court.
Inside Tip Leave the ironic tee in the closet; Reed & Greenough maintains a classy vibe by enforcing a dress code that prohibits t-shirts, ball caps, and flip-flops.
While You’re in the Neighborhood
Before: Don’t make a rookie mistake and go drinking on an empty stomach. Be sure to grab an artisanal pizza and some rustic Italian food at Ristobar beforehand.
After: Keep the good times going at MatrixFillmore, which regularly features dancing and live DJs.