From Our Editors
Five Things to Know About Royal Oak
The laid-back Royal Oak—which made it onto the local CBS affiliate’s list of Coziest Bars in 2011—tips its hat to the ‘70s lounge culture. Here are a few important points to keep in mind next time you visit.
- It has an English Victorian vibe. Red-velvet sofas beckon couples to cuddle under dim Tiffany lamps and fluted columns. Potted palms and stained-glass windows complete the scene.
- Earthquakes have tilted the bar a bit over time. However, this might just make it easier for bartenders to slide a Bulleit bourbon to a thirsty guest.
- Rumor has it that John Travolta stops in every so often.
- Reinvented classics are the bartenders’ specialties. They enjoy experimenting with old fashioneds and manhattans.
- They make fruitier drinks, too. Try the summery sweet-tea vodka with peach schnapps, orange juice, and lemon.